The closet is a girl’s ultimate domain where we choose the outfits that will shape the rest of our week. If you don’t see it, you’re not going to wear it! So, it is always a good idea to keep your closet neat and organized so you can maximize your space and utilize of all of your items. Now is a perfect time to give your closet a facelift so you can continue to add more precious items to your collection and clear out some of the things you no longer wear.
Here are some tips that you should repeat every season so your closet remains in top shape year round:
1. Take everything out so you can dust your shelves and clean the cobwebs in the corners.
2. Go through all of your clothes to determine what you will donate or give away. You can even do a clothing swap with your friends!
3. Separate items that are out of season. Under the bed storage boxes or vacuum sealed bags are ideal for storage.
4. Now, organize your remaining clothes by clothing type, occasion, hem and sleeve length, and then color. For instance, if you have a bunch of jeans you can organize them by style (pencil, bell bottom, etc.) and then arrange them from light to dark.
5. Once all of your items are grouped into categories, you should determine what gets hung up and what is folded. Loose knits tend to stretch out once placed on a hanger, so these should be folded. Jeans could also be folded to maximize space if needed. Shelf dividers are ideal for this!
6. Use the same hangers on every item. When all hangers are identical, it makes it so that every item of clothing is at the same eye-level and no piece gets left out.
7. Vertically line handbags and shoes by size on a shelf.
8. Closet door shoe racks are awesome because they are space savers and they show every pair!
9. Another great way to organize your shoes is to take a picture of the shoe and place it on the front of the box.
10. Keep boots in an upright position; put old magazines or newspaper into your boots so they remain upright all year.
If you need any help organizing your closet and deciding what to keep, you can always call upon my Closet Organization Services and I would be more than happy to assist you in organizing your clothes.